Speech By Mr Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister And Minister For Defence, And President Singapore National Olympic Council
Speech: Speech By Mr Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister And Minister For Defence, And President Singapore National Olympic Council
EVENT: THE 19TH COMMONWEALTH GAMES AND 16TH ASIAN GAMES MAP AWARDS AND TEAM SINGAPORE APPRECIATION DINNER
VENUE: THE GRAND BALLROOM, GRAND COPTHORNE WATERFRONT HOTEL
DATE: 17 FEB 2011
Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports,
Sponsors and partners,
Athletes and Officials,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
A very good evening to you and Gong Xi Fa Cai.
- Welcome to the Multi-Million Dollar Award Program (MAP) Awards Presentation and Team Singapore Appreciation Dinner to celebrate our athletes’ success at the 19th Commonwealth Games and 16th Asian Games which were held in October and November respectively last year.
- 2010 was a truly memorable year that will be remembered for having changed the face of sporting Singapore. The spotlight shone brightly on our Nation as we successfully staged the inaugural Youth Olympic Games. This was followed by our best ever results at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi; and a good overall performance by a very young Team Singapore contingent at the Asian Games in Guangzhou.
- 65 athletes participated in 8 sports at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi from 3 to 14 October 2010. We won a total of 31 medals; 11 gold, 11 silver and 9 bronze medals in all. Table tennis contributed 6 while shooting 5 gold medals. This was our best Commonwealth games outing so far, surpassing our previous best at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games 2006 where we won 18 medals.
- 240 athletes participated in 22 sports at the Asian Games in Guangzhou from 12 to 27 November 2010. We won a total of 17 medals; 4 gold, 7 silver and 6 bronze medals. The gold medals came from sailing with 2, and bowling and swimming with 1 each. Although this fell short of our best outing (in the Doha 2006 Asian Games where we won 27 medals and finished 12th overall), we still finished a commendable 14th in the overall medal tally. As a team we could have done better; but this takes nothing away from the good performances of those who won medals, especially our gold medal winners against top class competition.
- Congratulations to all the MAP award recipients. You did well at the two major games, to bring a good solid finale to a very busy sporting year 2010.
- The MAP awards have been made possible through the generous sponsorship of the Tote Board & Singapore Pools, our MAP sponsor for the major games since 1995. Thank you Tote Board & Singapore Pools for providing the incentive and recognition for our athletes as they strive to achieve excellence for our nation. I wish to thank too SNOC’s and Team Singapore’s sponsors and partners, for their support for sports and their belief in the athletes.
- For 2011, we have the SEA Games, and most importantly, we have to prepare for the Olympic Games in 2012.
- We have a dinner laid out for you, starting with a “Lo Hei” to usher in good fortune and more success for the coming New Year. This dinner is for all athletes, officials, parents, sponsors and the media who have been part of Team Singapore’s success for 2010. Thank you all for making 2010 a successful and memorable year.
- I wish everyone an enjoyable evening.