Speech By Mr Teo Chee Hean, Deputy Prime Minister, Coordinating Minister For National Security And Minister For Home Affairs And President, Singapore National Olympic Council
EVENT: THE SINGTEL ‘IGNITING YOUR SUPPORT FOR TEAM SINGAPORE’
VENUE: ION ORCHARD
DATE: 27 APRIL 2012
Mr Simon Israel, Group Chairman, SingTel
Ms Chua Sock Koong, Group Chief Executive Officer, SingTel;
Mr Allen Lew, (CEO, Group Digital Life), SingTel;
Dr Tan Eng Liang, President Olympian Singapore;
Mr Lim Teck Yin, CEO, Singapore Sports Council;
Ladies and gentlemen,
- I am happy to join all of you here today as we unveil our symbol of support for the Singapore athletes bound for the Olympic Games in London in July.
- Participating in international competitions can be a very stressful experience. After years of training, and much blood, sweat and tears, this is the moment of truth for many of our athletes. In times like these, the strong support of family, friends and fellow Singaporeans can help to share the athletes’ burden, and keep their passion and determination strong, even during the most intense competition.
- Today marks the 90th day to the London 2012 Olympic Games. As our athletes enter the final stages of their preparations before they face other sportsmen and women from around the world, our good wishes will remind them that as they compete in their own events, they are not alone. They also have a nation of five million supporters cheering them on, right here in Singapore.
- The “Vision 2030: Live Better Through Sports” report led by the Singapore Sports Council and the Ministry for Community Development, Youth and Sports, had called for greater engagement by Corporate Singapore to help build the affinity we have for our athletes. I am very heartened that corporations like SingTel have come forward to show their strong commitment to the development of Singapore sports. SingTel has not only entered into a five-year partnership with the Singapore National Olympic Council, but is also igniting the supporter spirit in all of us by capturing the nation’s good wishes for our athletes on this Flame sculpture.
- Let me take this opportunity to thank SingTel and our corporate sponsors for supporting our athletes. Through your sponsorship and efforts in promoting our athletes, you help our athletes to become a symbol of our National pride at the Games.
- Let us start to show our support for Team Singapore by igniting this very meaningful ‘flame’ this evening, while we look forward to experiencing the spirit and excitement of the Games and keeping track of our athletes’ performance through the comprehensive ‘live’ coverage of the London 2012 Games on MIO TV.