Speech by Mr Ng Ser Miang, Vice President, International Olympic Committee and Vice President, Singapore National Olympic Council
EVENT: THE SINGAPORE NATIONAL OLYMPIC COUNCIL TEA PARTY
VENUE: REGENT HOTEL
DATE: 15 NOVEMBER 2012
Members of the media,
Ladies and Gentlemen;
- A good afternoon to everyone. It is my pleasure to be here today to celebrate the success of our athletes at the London Olympic Games, and in particular these seven athletes, and their partnership with our sponsors, Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and Singapore Telecommunications Limited in the build up to the Games.
- The SNOC Partnership Programme, has been around since 2009, when Canon first began its partnership with SNOC. It aims to promote the Olympic values, the Olympic Movement, and generate interest for sport in the country and the major Games that the Singapore athletes are participating in with our sponsors. The SNOC has decided to plough back part of these money received from the sponsors to the athletes, for them to use the money for their training, transport or equipment.
- It is heartening to know that our sponsors – Canon, Samsung and SingTel all share a common vision with SNOC to bring the local sports arena to the next level and support aspiring athletes in their pursuit to become professional athletes as they do Singapore proud in the international sports arena.
- This year, Samsung and SingTel have come on board with Canon to make significant contributions towards this cause by partnering and promoting a few of our young talents in their sporting endeavours. As partners of the sponsors, the athletes help to project the brand they work with, while the sponsors on their part help to project the image of the athlete and their sport.
- Today, we have with us seven young talents under the SNOC Partnership Programme. Geraldine Lee (canoeing), Lim Heem Wei (gymnastics), Joseph Schooling (swimming), Jasmine Ser (shooting), Tao Li (swimming), Derek Wong (badminton) and Gary Yeo (athletics) have done us, and the sponsors they partner, proud with their commendable performance at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games. They have proven to be good role models and good ambassadors of the brands they work with. With the training and development grant which we are presenting to these few athletes today, we hope that it will help them towards achieving your dreams.
- We are also happy to note that our sponsors besides sponsoring cash to the SNOC have also provided our athletes with ‘in-kind’ sponsorship, which are useful. Samsung has provided our contingent to the London 2012 Olympic Games with the Galaxy S3 smart phone, and SingTel provided free international roaming and internet connections for our athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Today, SingTel will be presenting to their partner athletes with a one-year free mobile, Internet and MIO TV plans for their usage. Canon will also be giving a Canon PowerShot Camera, which is water and freeze proof to their partner athletes.
- We are thankful for the unwavering support from our sponsors involved in the SNOC Partnership Programme and we look forward to our continued partnership. We welcome more corporate entities to come on board as sponsors and join us in this quest to support our promising athletes and engage the local community in the activities leading up to the major Games.