2019 SEA Games selection criteria
Selection criteria for 30th SEA Games, Clark, Philippines
30 November to 10 December 2019
1. Nomination criteria
- NSAs seeking to nominate athletes for the Games should establish qualifying standards and criteria, at least 15 and a half months before the Games (this is to allow results at the 2018 Asian Games from 14 August, where some sports commence, to be used), which are open to all athletes. These athletes should satisfy these standards in the NSA sanctioned championships and time trials. NSAs are required to submit their NSA Selection Criteria to SNOC/SSI for endorsement before publication.
- NSAs should state clearly in the nomination forms (sent to NSAs about 6 months before the Games) the justification for the athletes to be selected.
- Athletes must be Singapore Citizens at the time of nomination.
2. Selection criteria
- Athletes who have currently achieved at least 3rd placing e.g. time/distance/score/mark of the 2017 SEA Games. For team sports, they should currently be ranked 3rd among the SEA Games countries.
- Athletes/Teams who miss the qualifying standard marginally, but show potential to equal or surpass it in time for the Games.
- All achievements submitted for consideration should have taken place at NSA sanctioned championships and trials, but NSAs may submit the achievements from overseas championships and meets of athletes studying in overseas tertiary institutions. However, these have to be properly accredited and sanctioned to be accepted.
- All achievements should be achieved from 14 August 2018 up to the Entry By Name deadline on 27 August 2019.
3. Other considerations
In addition to the above selection criteria, the following “qualities” of the athletes will be taken into consideration:
- Attitude and behavior;
- Current skill level and fitness;
- Level of commitment and attendance;
- Potential for future development;
- Ability to demonstrate team spirit and work well with team mates
4. Extenuating circumstances
In consideration of the performance and “qualities” of athletes, the selectors may at their discretion give consideration to extenuating circumstances. For this purpose, “extenuating circumstances” mean an inability of the athlete to compete in and/or attend event, training camps or other required attendances arising from:
- Injury or illness;
- Equipment failure;
- Travel delays;
- Such other circumstances as the selectors may consider to be relevant
5. Selection and appeals
- The SNOC Selection Committee will meet to discuss the nominations from NSAs and select athletes/teams for the 2019 SEA Games in accordance with the schedule (paragraph 6) below. Please note that the schedule is a guide for your planning and is subject to change in accordance to the Organising Committee’s timelines.
- NSAs can submit appeals to the SNOC Appeals Committee for athletes/teams who are not selected at the Selection Committee. In the appeals, NSAs have to provide new information that meets the selection criteria, information which had not been previously submitted to the Selection Committee.
The schedule for the 2019 SEA Games will be guided by the Organising Committee’s timeline. The tentative schedule is as follows:
|Submission of Accreditation and|
forms to SNOC
|15 June 2019 (Submission of Accreditation) |
30 June 2019 (Nomination forms to SNOC)
- Athlete’s/Team’s achievement(s) vis-à-vis Asian Games countries from 14 August 2018. If there are no head-to-head results, extrapolation of results is permitted:
Example 1: In the World/Asian/SEA ranking, our athlete/team is placed ahead of any of the top-3 placed athlete/team of the 2017 SEA Games.
Example 2: Our athlete/team reached the Round of 16 of the World/Asian Championships whilst one of the top-3 placed athlete/team in the 2017 SEA Games was eliminated in the Round of 16.
Example 3: Our athlete/team defeated an athlete/team who beat one of the top-3 placed athlete/team.
Accreditation (long list)
Requirements: passport biodata page, recent passport photo and details required by the Organising Committee.
NSA are to submit all athletes who have a realistic chance; and are going for relevant competitions to qualify for the Games.
|SNOC Selection Committee||1 August 2019||SNOC will inform NSAs on the athletes selected by the Selection Committee by 2 August 2019.|
|Submission of appeals to SNOC||13 August 2019||Athletes/teams who do not meet the mark and are not selected can submit new competition results to the Appeals Committee.|
|SNOC Appeals Committee||26 August 2019||SNOC will inform NSAs on the athletes selected by the Appeals Committee. There will not be a Re-Appeals Committee convened. Athletes/Teams will have till 27 August 2019 (Entry By Name deadline) to clearly meet the 3rd-placed mark; to allow the Secretariat time to circulate to the Committee members for approval.|
|Entry by Name Deadline||27 August 2019||NSAs will be required to submit their Entry By Names to SNOC by 27 August 2019 before the Organising Committee’s deadline for the Secretariat to check the details.|
Last updated: 4 June 2019