Commonwealth Games 2018 Selection Info for NSAs
Category: Commonwealth Games
The 21st Commonwealth Games Gold Coast 2018
4 to 15 April 2018
1. Nomination Criteria
● NSAs seeking to nominate athletes for the Games should establish qualifying standards and criteria which these athletes should satisfy in the NSA sanctioned championships and time trials.
● In their nominations, NSAs should state clearly the justification for the athletes to be selected.
● Athletes must be Singapore Citizens at the time of nomination.
2. Selection Criteria
● Athletes who have currently achieved at least 6th placing e.g. time/distance/score/mark of the 2014 Commonwealth Games. For team sports, they should currently be ranked 6th among the Commonwealth Games countries.
● Athletes/Teams who missed the qualifying standard marginally, but show potential to equal or surpass it in time for the Games.
● All achievements submitted for consideration should have taken place at NSA sanctioned championships and time trials, but NSAs may submit the achievements from overseas championships and meets of athletes studying in overseas tertiary institutions. However, these have to be properly accredited to be accepted.
• All achievements should be achieved within a twelve-month period before the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
3. Other Considerations
In addition to the above selection criteria, the following “qualities” of the athletes will be taken into consideration:
● Attitude and behaviour;
● Current skill level and fitness;
● Level of commitment and attendance;
● Potential for future development:
● Ability to demonstrate team spirit and work well with team mates.
4. Extenuating Circumstances
In consideration the performance and “qualities” of athletes, the selectors may at their discretion give consideration to extenuating circumstances. For this purpose, “extenuating circumstances” mean an inability of the athlete to compete in and/or attend event, training camps or other required attendances arising from:
● Injury or illness;
● Equipment failure;
● Travel delays;
● Such other circumstances as the selectors may consider to be relevant.
5. Selection and Appeals
• The CGS Selection Committee will meet to discuss the nominations from NSAs and select athletes/teams for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
• NSAs can submit appeals to the CGS Appeals Committee for athletes/teams who are not selected at the Selection Committee. In the appeals, NSAs have to provide new information that meets the selection criteria, information which had not been previously submitted to the Selection Committee.