Join the SNOC Athletes’ Commission
Reflecting the Olympic Agenda 2020 goal of placing the athletes at the heart of the Olympic Movement and strengthening the support to athletes, the SNOC Athletes’ Commission serves as a link between athletes and the SNOC.
The mission of the Commission is to represent the views of Singapore’s athletes within the SNOC.
The SNOC is calling for athletes who are interested to serve on the SNOC Athletes’ Commission to come forward to serve as the athletes’ representatives for the term 2017-2021. Athletes who have represented Singapore at least one of the major Games (SEA Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, Youth Olympic Games and Olympic Games) qualify as candidates to stand for election. Voting of the ten Athletes’ Commission representatives will take place at the 2017 SEA Games.
The responsibilities of the Athletes’ Commission are to:
SINGAPORE NATIONAL OLYMPIC COUNCIL ATHLETES’ COMMISSION FOR TERM 2017 – 2021
The mission of the SNOC Athletes’ Commission (SNOC AC) is to represent the views of Singapore’s athletes within the SNOC.
- To consider all questions and matters related to athletes and advise the SNOC Executive Committee
- To represent the rights and interests of athletes and to make related recommendations
- To serve as a voice for athletes or their organisations in the SNOC Executive Committee
- To advise and assist the SNOC Executive Committee and its Sub-Committees in promoting Olympism, sporting excellence, fair play and athlete development
- To maintain contact with UIOC Athletes’ Commission
Goals for the Next Term (2017 – 2021)
For the next term, the goal is to develop a sustainable model for SNOC AC relevant to the needs of the existing athlete cohort within our sporting landscape. The incoming SNOC AC will need to assess and develop plans, including increasing the awareness of the SNOC AC (roles and responsibilities) as well as to promote athlete participation in developing sport in Singapore.
To facilitate the process for the long-term, it was suggested that there should be an overlap between existing and future members of the SNOC AC. As such, several members of the existing SNOC AC have volunteered to run for the next term to continue existing developments (e.g. SNOC AC sustainable model, Adecco-IOC Athlete Career Programme).
Selection & Composition of the SNOC AC Representatives – Key Considerations
• Nominees be ready to serve as an active contributor & developers of the Athletes Commission.
• Athletes who have represented Singapore at least one of the major games (SEA Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, Youth Olympic Games and Olympic Games) may be nominated as representatives for a four-year term.
• There should also be a balance between competing & retired athletes.
• It is beneficial to have an overlap between existing & future members of the SNOC AC for continuity.
• Representatives on the AC should not hold positions which have a conflict of interest. (e.g. holding an administrative post in an NSA that has an influence on athlete selection)
• Voting will be conducted at 2017 SEA Games for ten (10) positions.