SEA Games 2017 Selection Info for NSAs
Category: SEA Games
1. Nomination Criteria
National Sports Associations (NSAs) seeking to nominate athletes for the Games should establish qualifying standards and criteria, at least 13 months before the Games, which are open to all athletes. These athletes should satisfy these standards in the NSA sanctioned championships and time trials. NSAs are equired to submit their NSA Selection Criteria to the Singapore National Olympic Council.
– In their nominations, NSAs should state clearly in the forms the justification for the athletes to be selected.
– Athletes must be Singapore Citizens at the time of nomination.
2. Selection Criteria
– Athletes who have currently achieved at least 3rd placing e.g. time/distance/score/mark of the 2015 SEA Games. For team sports, they should currently be ranked 3rd among the SEA Games countries.
– Athletes/Teams who miss the qualifying standard marginally, but show potential to equal or surpass it in time for the Games.
– All achievements submitted for consideration should have taken place at NSA sanctioned championships and trials, but NSAs may submit the achievements from overseas championships and meets of athletes studying in overseas tertiary institutions. However, these have to be properly accredited and sanctioned to be accepted.
– All achievements should be achieved within a twelve-month period before the 2017 SEA Games.
3. Other Considerations
In addition to the above selection criteria, the following “qualities” of the athletes will be taken into consideration:
– Attitude and behavior:
– Current skill level and fitness;
– Level of commitment and attendance;
– Potential for future development;
– Ability to demonstrate team spirit and work well with team mates
4. Extenuating Circumstances
In consideration of the performance and “qualities” of athletes, the selectors may at their discretion give consideration to extenuating circumstances. For this purpose, “extenuating circumstances” mean an inability of the athlete to compete in and/or attend event, training camps or other required attendances arising from:
● Injury or illness;
● Equipment failure;
● Travel delays;
● Such other circumstances as the selectors may consider to be relevant