The Singapore Sports Awards (SSA) selection committees revealed the finalists of the 2019 Singapore Sports Awards nominees today.
Organised by the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) and Sport Singapore (SportSG), and supported by the Tote Board Group, the 2019 SSA honour the most deserving individuals and teams in sports for the year 2018. The winners will be announced at the SSA presentation ceremony on the evening of Tuesday, 14 May 2019.
The main awards selection committee was chaired by Mr Tan Chuan-Jin, Speaker of Parliament and President of the SNOC while Mrs Jessie Phua, Vice-President of the SNOC, chaired the selection committee for the Sportsboy/Sportsgirl awards.
National Sports Associations were invited to nominate candidates for the main award categories following a set of eligibility criteria which consider factors such as the achievements of the nominees. The selection committees then decide on the finalists and cast their votes via a secret ballot to determine the winners. Independent auditing firm KPMG will then tabulate the results for announcement on 14 May.
Of the 12 awards, nine were finalised by the SNOC. The finalists for the three awards, Best Sports Events of the Year awards for both local and international categories, and the Sports Journalist of the Year, were judged and managed by guidelines and criteria set by SportSG.
The award categories are:
- Sportsman of the Year
- Sportswoman of the Year
- Sportsboy of the Year
- Sportsgirl of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Team of the Year (Team Sport)
- Team of the Year (Event)
- Sportsboy/Sportsgirl Team of the Year (Event)
- Best Sports Event of the Year (Local)
- Best Sports Event of the Year (International)
- Sports Journalist of the Year
- Best Sports Photo of the Year
Meritorious awards will also be presented to individual and team performances in the senior and junior categories.
Said Mr Abdul Halim Abdul Kader, Chairperson of SSA 2019 Organising Committee, “Last year, for the first time, Team Singapore participated in four major Games within a year. There were many breakthrough performances marked not only at the major Games but also at other major championships. We look forward to celebrating with them and also recognising the Singapore sports fraternity’s achievements on 14 May.”
And the finalists are:
|1||Sportsman of the Year||1. Gao Ning (Table Tennis)
2. Joseph Isaac Schooling (Swimming)
3. Sheik Farhan Sheik Alau’ddin (Silat)
|2||Sportswoman of the Year||1. Roanne Ho Ru’en (Swimming)
2. Nurzuhairah Binte Mohd Yazid (Silat)
3. Vera Tan Yan Ning (Wushu)
4. Martina Lindsay P Veloso (Shooting)
|3||Sportsboy of the Year||1. Daniel Hung Boon Lok (Sailing)
2. Malcolm Lai (Wushu)
3. Muhammad Hazim Bin Mohd Yusli (Silat)
|4||Sportsgirl of the Year||1. Amita Berthier (Fencing)
2. Isabel Chua Xin Ting (Wushu)
3. Jaslyn Hooi Yue Yann (Badminton)
4. Constance Lien Tian-En (Jiu-Jitsu)
5. Kyra Poh (Indoor Skydiving)
6. Quah Jing Wen (Swimming)
|5||Coach of the Year||1. Helmi Chew Bin Adam (Bowling)
2. Andrey Klyushin (Fencing)
3. Sheik Alau’ddin Yacoob Marican (Silat)
4. Gary Tan Lee Yu (Swimming)
|6||Team of the Year (Team Sport)||1. Floorball Men’s Team
2. Traditional Boat Women’s Team
3. Water Polo Men’s Team
|7||Team of the Year (Event)||1. Bowling Men’s Team
2018 CGSE Million Tinkle World Men Bowling Championships
Muhammad Jaris Goh Bin Ali Akbar Goh
Jonovan Neo Ze Min
Basil Dill Ng Jui Chang
Darren Ong Wei Siong
Keith Saw Hui-Xun
Joel Tan Eng An
2. Contract Bridge Men’s Team
2018 Asian Games
Fong Kien Hoong
Loo Choon Chou
Oh Feng Gui Desmond
Ong Yisheng Kelvin
3. Silat – Artistic Women Ganda Doubles
18th World Pencak Silat Championship
Nur Azlyana Binte Ismail
Nurhanishah Binte Shahrudin
|8||Sportsboy/Sportsgirl Team of the Year (Event)||1. Indoor Skydiving Dynamic Two-Way Team
FAI World Cup of Indoor Skydiving 2018
Choo Yi Xuan
2. Shooting 10m Women's Junior Air Rifle Team
ISSF Junior World Cup (Suhl)
Ho Xiu Yi
Adele Tan Qian Xi
Martina Lindsay P Veloso
|9||Best Sports Event of the Year (Local)||1. Great Eastern Women’s Run 2018
2. M1 Asian Netball Championships 2018
3. Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018
|10||Best Sports Event of the Year (International)||1. FINA Swimming World Cup 2018 Presented by Yakult
2. HSBC Singapore Rugby Sevens 2018
3. HSBC Women’s World Championship 2018
|11||Sports Journalist of the Year ||1. Muhammad Sazali Bin Abdul Aziz (The Straits Times)
2. Nicole Chia (The Straits Times)
3. Kimberly Kwek (The New Paper)
4. Matthew Mohan (Channel NewsAsia Digital)
5. Dilenjit Singh (The New Paper)
|12||Best Sports Photo of the Year ||1. Photo by Lim Swee Chin Eric
A tense moment when two players fight for possession of the disc during the Freakshow Invitationals, an Ultimate tournament at Kallang on 20 May 2018.
2. Photo by Lim Weixiang
Singapore goal attack Toh Kai Wei aiming for the goal during the 2018 Asian Netball Championship match between Singapore and Hong Kong at the OCBC Arena on 5 September 2018.
3. Photo by Lim Yaohui
Bowler Muhammad Jaris Goh celebrating after his strike in the men's trios’ event at the Jakabaring Bowling Center on 23 August 2018. The team won the bronze medal at the 2018 Asian Games in Palembang, Indonesia.
4. Photo by Lim Yong Teck
Iain Yeow of Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) falls after a tackle on Umar Mohamed Sha’ari of St Andrew’s Secondary School during the National Schools Boys’ ‘B’ Division Rugby Championship final at Queenstown Stadium on 28 March 2018.
5. Photo by Dyan Kusuma Eka Putri
Singapore fencer Victoria Ann Lim competing against Kaylin Hsieh Sin Yan from Hong Kong during the 2018 Asian Games Women’s Epee Individual Preliminaries at Jakarta Convention Center, Indonesia on 21 August 2018.